Vanessa Mathisen joins Moss Immigration Law after four years at World Relief Spokane’s Immigration Legal Services Department, where she was the managing attorney from 2016 to 2019. Her practice there included matters of naturalization, adjustment of status, family reunification, asylum, and other immigration processes.
Vanessa has worked tirelessly to expand access to immigration legal services in the Spokane community by identifying funding opportunities and developing collaborative partnerships with community organizations to address systemic immigration-related issues and to put on legal clinics, forums, and educational opportunities for local advocates and legal practitioners.
When she received her Juris Doctorate from Gonzaga University School of Law in 2016, Vanessa was awarded the Holly Caudill. The Holly Caudill Award was created for a woman whose “uncommon courage, extraordinary perseverance and unflagging fortitude in overcoming challenges that would have proven insurmountable to most in attaining a legal education” and is awarded to students who follow her example by conquering adversity in the pursuit of a juris doctor degree. She also received a degree in Social Sciences from Chapman University in 2010.
Vanessa has two grown children, and lives in Spokane with her young son. In her free time, she enjoys writing, wine-tasting, traveling, photography, and playing the guitar.
· American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
· Washington State Bar Association
· Spokane County Bar Association
· How To Advocate For Immigrant Students Workshop, Panelist, EWU 10/17/2018
· Scaling the Wall – Developments in Immigration, Panelist, Federal Bar Association Eastern District Conference, 9/27/2018
· The Plight of the Refugee, Presenter, Minority Justice Commission at Gonzaga University School of Law 2/27/2018
· Seeking Refuge: Working with Refugee and Immigration Children, Children’s Justice Conference, Breakout Session Presenter, 5/7/2018
· ICE Nabs Your Client Whatcha Gonna Do? CLE, Nuts and Bolts of Immigration Law, Presenter, 10/20/2017